So you went away for the week and came home and the once beautiful and bright bananas you bought from the grocery store are now soft, brown, and mushy... don't throw them away! Make this instead!
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 10 graham crackers
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsps white sugar
- ½ stick of butter
- ⅓ cup hazelnuts
- arrowroot starch, optional
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
For the meringue
- 5 egg whites
- white sugar
- Torch (if you want)
- Add hazelnuts to a food processor until pieces are small and chunky.
- In a pot, melt butter and add hazelnuts. Allow to cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, white sugar, and bananas. Once this thickens, add coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
- Add arrowroot as desired to thicken.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and add egg whites to a large mixing bowl.
- With a hand mixer, begin mixing the egg whites until frothy and begin adding sugar. I did not measure the amount of sugar that I used, I added until the egg whites turned into a whipped texture.
Get a bowl, crush the graham crackers into fine pieces. Add pieces to the bottom of a bow/glass, add banana mixture, and top with the meringue (like the picture above). Grab your torch and char the meringue!
Lastly, eat up!